From Scratch Pumpkin Pie
If you use this filling recipe with store-bought pie crust, note that the filling amount is enough to fill two 9-inch "deep dish" pie crusts.
I really loved this recipe but i did add more molaases,cinnamon & ginger. next time i will try adding some nutmeg. easy to prepare and i roasted the seeds too!
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin (about 3 pounds)
- Canola oil, for oiling pumpkin
- Easy Pie Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for flouring
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (11 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 165mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
For the pumpkin: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Remove the stem from the pumpkin and scrape out the insides, discarding the seeds. Cut the pumpkin in half and lay the pieces cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Rub canola oil all over the skin and bake until fork-tender, about 1 hour. Let cool.
For the easy pie crust: While the pumpkin is cooking, make the crust. In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add in the butter and work into the dough with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in just enough cold water (4 to 5 tablespoons) with a fork just until the flour is moistened. Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a ball and flatten slightly. Wrap one ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate for another use.
Roll out the remaining dough ball on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch round. Transfer to a 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Fold the overhangs under and crimp decoratively. Pierce the dough all over with a fork. Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Line the crust with foil, fill with dried beans or pie weights and bake until the sides are set, about 12 minutes. Remove the foil and beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
For the filling: Scoop out the pulp from the roasted pumpkin and puree in a food processor until smooth (you should have about 4 cups). Add the condensed milk, cream, cornstarch, molasses, canola oil, cinnamon, ginger, salt and eggs and combine thoroughly.
Pour the filling into the crust and bake until the filling is set in the center, about 1 hour. Transfer the pie to a rack and cool for 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
You'll also love
- White Chocolate and Raspberry... 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Honey-Baked Brie with Strawberry... 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Spice-Rubbed Pork Loin with... 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Pepita Crusted Tilapia with... 4/5 (8 Votes)
- Cheddar and Zucchini Frittata 4/5 (7 Votes)
- Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Chips 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Pumpkin with Cornbread, Apples and... 4/5 (6 Votes)