Zucchini Creole Casserole
- For sauce:
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs zucchini
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, slice diagonally
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 cups tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced
Saute onions, celery and green peppers in cooking oil. Combine remaining ingredients, except cheese, and cook over slow heat 40 to 45 minutes or until thickened.
Cut zuchini into bite size pieces. Put half in 2 qt casserole dish. Spoon enough sauce to cover. Cover with cheese sauce. Layer remaining.
Bake at 325 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.