Lemon Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze
A light lemon loaf perfect alone or with fresh fruit and a dollop of whipped cream.
- 1/2 cup unsalted room temperature butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (approximately zest from 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (approximate juice from 1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup half and half or milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
Adapted from returntosundaysupper.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour a standard loaf pan.
In a large bowl, cream the room temperature butter and sugar together.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla till frothy. Whisk in lemon juice and lemon zest.
Slowly beat the egg mixture into the butter mixture.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
Then gradually fold the dry ingredients into the butter/egg mixture alternating with the half and half or milk till combined.
Bake for 40 - 45 minutes till golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
While loaf is baking prepare glaze.
In a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and salt. Add optional lemon zest if you'd prefer more lemon flavor.
Place loaf on cooling rack and let cool for 5 minutes then remove loaf from pan and spoon on glaze.