Incredible Coconut Cake
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flaked coconut, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 (8oz) pkgs cream cheese softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp coconut extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 60mins
Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In another large bowl, beat the sugar, butter and oil until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut.
Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in round baking pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioner's sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 3/4 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in refrigerator.
You'll also love
- King Arthur's Carrot Cake 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Baked Panko-Crusted Shrimp 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Country French Omelet (Bacon &... 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with... 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Seared... 4.3/5 (27 Votes)
- COCONUT KEY LIME CHEESECAKE BARS 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
Review this recipe