Sweet Potato Apple Cookie Muffins
Sometimes beautiful things happen. This is one. There is quite a bit of flexibility in this recipe. Since there are no eggs, feel free to adjust wet/dry ingredients as you go.
- ~ 2 cups of all purpose gluten free flour – make sure that about 1/3 – 1/2 of this flour is almond meal flour. It is very fluffy and moist flour.
- ~ 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- ~ 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ~ 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- ~ 2 tablespoons of sugar or 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 of white
- ~ 5 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter, diced
- ~ 1/2 - 1 cup of milk (you likely won't need this much)
- ~ 1 cup sweet potato puree
- ~ 1 apple diced
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Boil the sweet potato, peel and puree it. You can use some of the milk to help the puree go more smoothly. Stick it in the fridge to cool while you do other things, like dicing the apple. Or use canned sweet potato puree.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare baking sheets or muffin tins with either parchment paper or cooking spray, dust with flour if you like.
3. Combine dry ingredients and transfer a few tablespoons to your bowl of diced apples. Giving them a thin covering of the mix helps them not sink to the bottom while baking.
4. Add the diced butter to the dry ingredients, the butter should be cold. Cut the butter into the mix with a fork, pastry cutter or two knives. Do this until you have pea sized chunks.
5. Add about 1 cup of the cold sweet potato puree into the mix.
6. Slowly add the milk to the mix. Add a little at a time so you don't end up with runny batter. You want to be able drop a spoonful onto a baking sheet without it running everywhere.
7. Mix in the apples.
8. Drop large spoonfuls of batter onto a baking sheet for cookies, or fill muffin tins.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are slightly brown.
10. While these are baking, make a drizzle for the cookies. Mix a couple tablespoons of brown sugar with about 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1/2 tablespoon of milk and a tiny bit of vanilla extract. It should be thick.
11. Drizzle the glaze on the cookies or muffins after you take them out of the oven. Try to eat only one. Then go for a run while the others cool and freeze them.
You'll also love
- Avgolemeno (Greek Chicken, Lemon &... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Caramelized Banana Sandwich 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Potato lángos: Hungarian fried... 4/5 (15 Votes)
- Olive Garden Ravioli Di Portobello... 3.9/5 (176 Votes)
- Fried Potatoes and Hamburger 3.9/5 (79 Votes)
- Gluten-Free French Apple Cake 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie with Chocolate... 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Candied Sweet Potatoes 4.4/5 (14 Votes)