Crispy Lemon-Coconut Pan-Fried Trout
Pairs well with lemon-cream pasta or other citrusy side dishes.
- 4 rainbow trout fillets, skin on
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup flour
- Zest from one lemon
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Peanut oil (for frying)
Adapted from garlicshoots.com
1. In a high-sided frying pan or skillet, pour peanut oil to a depth of 1/2 inch. Heat over medium-high heat. (If oil is smoking, it is too hot.)
2. While oil is heating, whisk milk and egg together in a shallow bowl. Place flour in another shallow dish. Mix lemon zest, panko, and coconut flakes in a third dish.
3. Dip each fillet in egg mixture, then dredge in flour. Shake off excess flour. Dip floured fillet in egg mixture again, then lightly coat in the panko mixture.
4. Place coated fillet in hot oil, skin side down. When bottom is lightly browned, flip fillet. Cook until medium-brown, then flip back to skin side and cook until skin side is also medium-brown. When fully cooked, the skin will be crisp and the trout will flake easily. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Potato & Leek Cakes with Blue... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Dakota Peach Kuchen 4.2/5 (28 Votes)
- Lobster Pasta in Cream Sauce 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Easy Seafood Paella Recipe 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pissaladières - Onion & Anchovy... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Southern Style Coconut Cake 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Citrus-and-Ginger-Roasted Chicken 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Slow-Cooked Salmon, Chickpeas, and... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)