Potato & Leek Cakes with Blue Cheese Sauce
Leeks lend a delicate flavor to these potato cakes, and the creamy topping provides a cool, savory contrast.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup diced leek
- 6 cups shredded peeled baking potato (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. To prepare sauce, combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well. Cover and chill.
2. To prepare cakes, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add leek to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Place leek in a large bowl. Wipe pan with paper towels.
3. Place potato in a sieve; gently squeeze potato to remove excess moisture. Add potato, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and eggs to leek in bowl; stir well. Return pan to medium-high heat. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Divide potato mixture into 16 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/4-inch-thick patty. Add 8 patties to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining 8 patties. Serve with sauce.