Pressure Cooker Dark Roasted Chicken Stock
The beautiful amber of this soup comes from roasting vegetables and chicken wings (or thighs or drumsticks) until they are almost burned (about 45 minutes to an hour). I admit, this happened because I forgot to set a timer, and I was worried I had ruined my chicken broth base. Instead, I got a broth that almost looked like beef, but it didn't taste burnt at all! You can simmer all of this on the stove, but I used my Instant Pot Pressure cooker (35 minutes on "Soup" Setting). I made German semolina dumplings and found this soup to be rich in flavor and color.
- 2 pounds chicken wings (or a combo of drumsticks and or thighs)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 onion (just cut into quarters and don't worry about peeling)
- 2 carrots (no need to peel)
- 2 cloves garlic (unpeeled)
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns (I put mine into a tea "ball" to easily remove)
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Small bunch of fresh parsley (about 1 dozen stalks)
- 2 bay leaves
- NOTE: I don't add salt to my chicken broth until I actually use it. That way, I can control the seasoning if I use it within a recipe.
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place into a roasting pan and add vegetables, onion and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, and mix with hands to coat.
Roast for approximately 45 minutes, until everything has achieved a dark color.
If you don't own a pressure cooker (buy one!) then simmer this on a stove top for about an 90 minutes.
If using a pressure cooker:
Pour in 8 cups of water into the pot. Add all the roasted chicken and vegetables into the pot. Add the bay leaves and fresh parsley.
Lock on the lid, and pressure cook on HIGH for 35 minutes (or use the SOUP button).
When the PC beeps, do a quick pressure release.
Carefully strain the broth. The broth can be frozen for future use. See my recipe, on Key Ingredient, for "Grießnockerlsuppe (Semolina Dumpling Soup)" http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/3014865032/grienockerlsuppe-semolina-dumpling-soup/ to see how I made the dumplings.
You'll also love
- Pulled Pork Nachos 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken Jalapeno Popper Soup 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Smoked Stella Artois Chicken... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Pork Ragu 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Instant Pot Classic Cheese Cake 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Pull Apart Bread 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Cheesy Salsa Lime Chicken 4.6/5 (5 Votes)