Buttermilk Strawberry Skillet Cake with Strawberry Whipped Cream and Jerry's Sugared Pecans trisha-yearwood
2 hr 20 min
1 hr 10 min
Yield:4 to 6 servings
- Buttermilk Strawberry Skillet Cake:
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature, plus additional for the skillet
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for the skillet
- 3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups strawberries, tops removed, sliced in half lengthwise
- Strawberry Whipped Cream:
- 3/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Jerry's Sugared Pecans, recipe follows, for serving
- Jerry's Sugared Pecans:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large egg whites
- 4 cups pecan halves
For the buttermilk strawberry skillet cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and dust with flour.
Beat the butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat in the vanilla and egg. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl until combined. With the mixer running, add about a third of the flour mixture to the butter-sugar mixture, then add about half of the buttermilk. Continue adding the flour and buttermilk in this manner, ending with the flour, mixing just until the batter comes together.
Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and smooth the top. Place the strawberries on top of the cake batter, pressing down gently. Sprinkle the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar over top. Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
For the strawberry whipped cream: Place a mixing bowl and whisk attachment into the freezer 15 minutes prior to using.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the cold whisk attachment, whip the cream until soft peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the jam and vanilla and continue whipping until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes more. (If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate.)
Serve the cake with the whipped cream and Jerry's Sugared Pecans.
Jerry's Sugared Pecans:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a large baking sheet with sides with aluminum foil. Pour the melted butter onto the lined sheet.
In a large bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon and egg whites. Add the pecan halves and toss until they are fully coated.
Spread the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring the pecans every 10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Vanilla Cupcakes with Whipped... 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- How to Stabilize Whipped Cream 4.5/5 (40 Votes)
- Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake with... 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Savory Shrimp Fajitas 0/5 (0 Votes)
- OLD SOUTH COCA-COLA PORK LOIN 3.2/5 (32 Votes)
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- French-Style Pork Chops with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- DUTCH APPLE PIE MUFFINS 0/5 (0 Votes)