Asparagus With Mustard Vinaigrette
- MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE:
- 24 asparagus spears - (4 to 6 per person)
- 2 tablespoons Mustard Vinaigrette per person (see below)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar or good wine vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large pinch freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cups salad oil, such as safflower or vegetable
Peel the asparagus. In a large pot, bring heavily salted water to a boil. Place asparagus in the water and cook until tender but still firm (about 5 minutes from the time the water returns to a boil). Remove the asparagus from the pot and refresh in ice water to stop the cooking process.
With a wire whisk, combine all the ingredients except the oil. Slowly, in a steady stream, add the oil, continuing to whisk all the while.
Arrange asparagus on individual plates and spoon over the dressing.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.