Roasted Eggplant And Asparagus Soup
- 3 medium eggplants - (4-lbs) halved lengthwise
- 1 garlic clove split in half
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 leeks thinly sliced
- 3 shallots finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 12 cups vegetable stock
- 2 pounds medium asparagus coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh or store-bought pesto
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan - (3 oz)
Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
Rub the eggplant halves with the cut clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Place in a baking dish and roast until the eggplant halves are browned and have softened, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the celery, onion, leeks, shallots and chopped garlic in a heavy pot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat until translucent, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and continue to simmer.
Peel the eggplant and add the flesh to the pot. Add the asparagus and simmer until the asparagus is very tender, about 15 minutes. Add the pesto sauce. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with the shaved Parmesan.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Each of 10 servings: 265 calories; 1,061 mg. sodium; 10 mg. cholesterol; 12 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 30 grams carbohydrates; 11 grams protein; 5.89 grams fiber.