- 2 packages tempeh - (8 oz ea) cut crosswise
- into 12 thin strips
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced fresh ginger - (1 oz)
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup fresh basil - (loosely packed) coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 pieces star anise
- 1 can lite coconut milk - (14 oz)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon kudzu dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In large Dutch oven, arrange tempeh slices with ginger, garlic, basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt and star anise.
In small bowl, combine coconut milk and broth and pour over tempeh. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes (lower heat if cooking too rapidly).
Meanwhile, prepare coconut breading: In medium bowl, combine coconut flakes, bread crumbs, sesame seeds and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to mix.
With slotted spoon, transfer tempeh to plate. (There should be at least 1 cup cooking liquid left in pot. If not, add more broth or water to equal 1 cup liquid.) Strain tempeh cooking liquid, discard solids and return to pan.
Dissolve kudzu completely in water. Whisk kudzu mixture into strained cooking liquid and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Pour thickened liquid into shallow bowl.
Dip tempeh slices first in kudzu mixture and then in coconut breading, turning to coat. Arrange breaded tempeh on prepared baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Turn and bake another 10 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes, then serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving: 498 Cal; 28g Prot; 22g Total Fat (8 Sat. Fat); 52g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 1493mg Sod.; 3g Fiber.
When cutting tempeh, hold your knife at a 45° angle to get more surface area per slice.
You'll also love
- Vegan: Pad Thai-style Noodles with... 4.7/5 (22 Votes)
- Mango Tempeh Stir-fry 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Wild Rice Pancakes With Mushrooms... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tomato-Mushroom Galette 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lime-Tahini Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Champagne Blushed Melon Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Marinated Fish With... 0/5 (0 Votes)