Baked Potato Soup - Chunky & Good
- 4 whole Extra Large Baked Potatoes Or 8 Regular Baked Potatoes
- 6 slices Already-Cooked Bacon, Diced
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 whole Onion, Chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/3 cups All-purpose Flour
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 teaspoons Sea Salt (or To Taste)
- 2 teaspoons Ground Pepper, Or To Taste
- 1 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 5 whole Scallions (Green Onions), Sliced
- 2 cups plain Greek Yogurt or sour cream
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Prepare the bacon according to package instructions, then crumble into a small bowl and set aside. Scoop out the white insides out of the baked potatoes, chop, and set aside.
Slice the scallions, put them in a bowl and set aside.
In a large stock pot brown the onion in the butter and continue to cook over medium heat until onion is caramelized. Add minced garlic and flour. Stir flour until absorbed by the butter and cooked, about 1-2 minutes.
While stirring, slowly add chicken stock to the flour mixture to prevent lumps. Bring to a simmer then turn heat to low. Add the insides of the diced baked potato. Add sea salt and pepper. Cover pot and continue to cook over low heat.
Add 1/2 of the crumbled bacon, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, 2/3 of the scallions and Greek yogurt into the pot of soup. Stir well and continue to cook over low heat until heated through and cheese is melted.
Serve soup topped with remaining bacon, cheddar cheese, and scallions.