Stuffed/Baked Bell Peppers with Chickpea Mash, Eggs and Harissa
Harissa is a spicy condiment commonly found in North African cuisine that can range from mild to fiery hot. Look for one that meets your spice threshold.
- 6 item(s) uncooked bell pepper(s), assorted colors
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), diced
- 3 ⁄4 tsp table salt, or to taste (divided)
- 1 ⁄2 tsp black pepper, or to taste (divided)
- 1 ⁄2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 ⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ⁄4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cup(s) fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 3 ⁄4 cup(s) canned drained chickpeas, rinsed, drained, mashed slightly with a fork
- 6 large egg(s)
- 6 tsp chives, or cilantro, minced
- 6 Tbsp harissa paste, mild or hot
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (or coat pan with cooking spray).
2. Slice a lengthwise piece off each pepper so stem and bottom remain intact; reserve cut pieces of pepper. Carefully scoop out membrane and seeds from peppers (use a melon baller if you have one) and set on prepared pan, cut-side up. Loosely cover peppers with aluminum foil; bake 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, dice reserved pepper pieces. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; warm over medium-low heat. Add diced pepper, onion, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper to skillet; saute until tender, 5-10 minutes. Add turmeric, garlic powder, cumin and cinnamon; toss to combine and heat for 30 seconds. Add spinach and chickpeas; toss to combine and remove from heat.
4. Remove peppers from oven. Reduce heat to 375°F. Divide chickpea mixture evenly among peppers; crack an egg onto each pepper, and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bake, uncovered, until egg whites set completely, about 20 minutes. Serve sprinkled with chives (or cilantro); spoon harissa over top.
5. Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper
You'll also love
- Very Berry Apple Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Olive Burger 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamy Garlic Chicken and Broccoli... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Black Bean and Avocado... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chickpea Soup with Moghrabieh... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Yellow Bell Pepper Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bell Pepper Rajas 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe