Bring the family together with a delicious Mexican cuisine spread around the table. Try this Chili Relleno with beans and rice on the side.
- 4 Pasilla, poblano or anaheim chilies
- 1 pound queso fresco cheese or Mexican 4 cheese blend
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup oil
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano leaves
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
Grill and char the chiles on both sides. Once blackened put in a plastic bag for 10 minutes to sweat out any moisture. Remove from the bag, slit them down the middle and remove the seeds. Stuff the peppers with the queso fresco and use toothpicks to hold them together.
Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Add the egg whites to a large bowl. Reserve the egg yolks. Beat the egg whites with an electric beater until the whites fluff up. Add in the flour and the egg yolks and mix until completely incorporated.
Add the oil to a frying pan over medium heat. Dip the stuffed peppers into the batter and fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the oil to a serving platter.
Add the tomatoes and water to a small pot over medium heat. Simmer the tomatoes until soft and stir in the garlic and chicken broth powder
add the 1/4 cup of oil to a frying pan, over low heat, and stir in the flour to make a roux mixture. Cook the flour until browned, then add the tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes and then add the oregano.
Pour the tomato sauce over the cooked chile Rellenos on the serving platter and serve.
You'll also love
- St. Louis Pork Steaks 4.4/5 (84 Votes)
- Mojo Pork Chops with Grilled... 4.6/5 (76 Votes)
- Grape Salad 4.5/5 (81 Votes)
- Monkey Bread 4.6/5 (74 Votes)
- Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (82 Votes)
- 5 Minute Pumpkin Crescent Rolls 4.5/5 (80 Votes)
- Pancake Bites 4.6/5 (68 Votes)
- Parmesan Chicken Ziti with... 4.5/5 (78 Votes)