Mom's Buttermilk Pumpkin Bread
This is a lower calorie bread. It's not super sweet and the buttermilk makes it very moist. Delicous! Use fresh pumpkin if possible otherwise canned is fine.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (spicey chinese is best)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cooked fresh pumpkin mashed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
1.Preheat oven to 325
2.Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg a large bowl. Stir in the pumpkin, brown sugar, buttermilk, egg and butter until well blended. Pour into a 9x5 inch buttered loaf pan and smooth the top.
3.Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.