Crispy Curry Catfish Sandwich with Chili-Lime Slaw
- For the Slaw:
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons juice from about 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Sambal chili sauce
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- For the Sandwich:
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 catfish fillets, cut in half (about 1 pound total)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Lime wedges, for squeezing
- 1 French bread roll, about 16 inches in length
For the Slaw: whisk together the canola oil, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and sambal in a large bowl. Add the shredded cabbages and cilantro and toss to combine. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
For the Fish: Combine the curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl, then sprinkle on all sides of the catfish fillets. Place the rice flour in a shallow dish, then dredge the catfish fillets in the rice flour, shaking off any excess.
Heat the canola oil in a large cast-iron pan over medium high heat until shimmering. Place the catfish fillets into the pan, working in batches if necessary. Fry the catfish until crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the fried catfish to a platter lined with paper towels and season immediately with salt and pepper. Repeat until all fish is cooked.
Divide the bread into 4 equal pieces, then split each in half horizontally. Divide the slaw among 4 of the bottom halves of the bread, then place a piece of catfish on each sandwich. Top with the remaining halves of the bread and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over the fish.
You'll also love
- Sara's Sunday Pork Tenderloin with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Moroccan Cornish Game Hens 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- APPLE CAKE 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Batter Up Walleye 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Smoked Tuna Dip 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pink Lemonade Sherbet Party Punch 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Lime-Laced Chili Verde with Shrimp... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Bayou Stuffed Catfish With Cajun... 5/5 (2 Votes)