Chicken With Fresh Peas and New Potatoes
- 1 (about 3 1/2 pounds) whole chicken, cut up into 8 pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) fine-grained sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 1 pound(s) new potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup(s) chopped onion or leeks
- 3 cup(s) sparkling white wine
- 2 cup(s) fresh peas or substitute fresh corn
- 1 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped dill
1.Brown the chicken: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a platter with several layers of paper toweling and set aside. Season the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper. Add the oil to a large, ovenproof skillet set over medium-high heat. Place the chicken pieces, skin-side down, in the skillet and cook until well browned and skin is crispy -- about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet to the prepared plate and discard fat, reserving 3 tablespoons.
2.Finish the casserole: In the same skillet, add the reserved oil and the potatoes; cook over high heat on one side until browned -- about 10 minutes. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the sparkling wine and let boil for 1 minute. Return the chicken pieces to the skillet; transfer to oven and roast for 40 minutes. Add the peas to the skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Dot the chicken pieces with equal amounts of the butter and let it melt over the chicken. Sprinkle the dill over the casserole and serve immediately.