Mark your own Pork Carnitas at home with this simple recipe. No need to go out for carnitas tacos when you can make them at home any night of the week!
- 4 pounds boneless pork butt, fat trimmed and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium orange, juiced and keep the spent halves
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from bestestrecipes.blogspot.com
Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat to 300°F
Combine all the ingredients in a large Dutch oven, including the spent orange halves and juice. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, uncovered. Once it simmers, cover pot and transfer it to the oven. Cook until the meat falls apart, about 2 hours. You can do this step in a slow cooker, and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat from the pan and place it on a large foil-lined jelly roll pan.
Remove the orange slices and bay leaves. Place pot over high heat on the stove and boil until thick and syrupy, about 20 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and pepper.
Place the jelly roll pan on the lower middle rack of the oven and broil until the top of the meat is well browned and edges are slightly crisp, about 5 to 8 minutes.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken 4.3/5 (54 Votes)
- Bethenny's Boo Boo Banana Bread 4.3/5 (51 Votes)
- Chickpea Purée With Wilted Greens 5/5 (2 Votes)
- The Best Cheesecake Ever 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cajun Sausage 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Vegetable Beef Flavor SOUP STARTER... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Honey Garlic Pork Tenderloin 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta 5/5 (2 Votes)