Tofu, Greens And Sun-Dried Tomato Strudel With Pepper Sauce
- 1 bunch kale stems and ribs
- cut away and discarded, leaves finely
- chopped - (abt 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 7 ounces firm tofu - (half of 14-oz pkg) drained, and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 4 ounces grated reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves patted dry, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Nonstick olive oil spray
- 6 frozen phyllo pastry sheets thawed
- Red Pepper Sauce (see recipe)
Cook kale in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Cool; squeeze dry. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 7 minutes. Cool.
Finely chop tofu, cheeses, dill and flour in processor. Transfer to bowl. Stir in onion mixture, kale and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray large baking sheet with oil spray. Stack 2 phyllo sheets, one atop the other, on work surface; spray phyllo with oil spray. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets. Spray with oil spray. Repeat with remaining 2 phyllo sheets. Spread tofu mixture lengthwise down center of phyllo in 3-inch-wide strip, leaving about 1 1/2-inch border on each short side. Fold short sides of phyllo in over filling, then roll up into log, enclosing filling completely. Spray phyllo log with oil spray. Transfer strudel to prepared baking sheet.
Bake strudel until golden brown, about 40 minutes. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in 350 degree oven until heated through, about 15 minutes.) Cool 10 minutes. Cut strudel crosswise into 6 pieces. Place on plates. Spoon Red Pepper Sauce alongside.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Per serving (with 1/6 of sauce): calories, 225; total fat, 7 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 8 mg.