STEAMED SALMON WITH BLACK BEANS
Bon Appetit/March 1982 – Cooking Class
- 2 tblsp light soy sauce
- 1-2 tblsp dry Sherry
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tblsp salted black beans, rinsed, drained and squeezed dry with fingertips
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 2-3 salmon steaks of equal thickness (about 1 3/4 lbs total)
- 2 green onions, cut into 2 inch slivers
- 3 tblsp peanut oil
Combine soy sauce, Sherry, sesame oil, salt, pepper and sugar in measuring cup and mix well. Mince beans very finely with ginger. Arrange fish on flameproof plate. Rub bean mixture over both sides of fish. Pour soy sauce mixture over. Marinate 2 hours.
Bring water to rapid boil in steamer (preferably Chinese). Set plate with fish in steamer. Cover and steam until fish tests done, about 9 minutes for every inch of thickness.
Transfer fish to serving dish. Sprinkle with green onion. Warm small saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and heat until it just begins to smoke. Drizzle over fish. Serve immediately.