Shaved Brussels Sprout, Meyer Lemon, and Quinoa salad
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- Coarse salt
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced (preferably on a mandolin)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (1/3 cup)
- 1/2 dried chili de arbol, crumbled, or a 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
Place quinoa and 1 1/2 cups water in a small saucepan with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, until grains are tender and water has been absorbed, about 16 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool.
Peel 4 long strips of zest from a lemon with a vegetable peeler; thinly sliced. Juice the lemon into a bowl to produce about 2 tablespoons. Whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream.
Add zest, sprouts, walnuts, scallions, and chili to quinoa. Season with 3/4 teaspoon of salt and drizzle with vinaigrette. Stir to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 3 days.