Shallot and Sage-Roasted Turkey
- 1 (12 lb) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots (about 1 shallot)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 TBS finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 fresh sage sprigs
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
Adapted from epicurious.com
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Remove giblets and neck from turkey. Trim excess fat. Tie ends of legs together with twine. Starting at the neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
3. Combine chopped shallots, butter, chopped sage, salt, and pepper. Rub butter mixture under loosened skin over breast and drumsticks. Stuff onion, carrot, celery, and sage sprigs into body cavity. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey. Place turkey, breast side up, on a roasting pan. Pour water and broth into pan. Bake at 450F for 30 minutes.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350F (do not remove turkey from oven). Bake turkey at 350F for 1 1/2 hours or until thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 165F. Remove turkey from oven; let stand 30 minutes.
You'll also love
- Chocolate Chip Strawberry Banana... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken Rigatoni 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Paleo Almond Butter Chocolate ... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Loaded Mexican Chicken and Potato... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pumpkin Frappuccino 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Hash Brown Pork Skillet 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Cajun Brined Turkey Two Ways 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Torn Garlic Bread 4.5/5 (6 Votes)