I saw this recipe in Bon Appetit, March 2010 and written by Molly Wizenberg. I was lucky enough to find Golden syrup at my local World Market. I have a couple of tips on how to make these very simply... well, what are they? Cookies? Breakfast snacks? Not to be confused with the pancake, this delicious bar cookie is made from oats bound with butter, golden syrup, and (usually) brown sugar. I ended up cutting these into 8 triangular shaped slices, and they are all gone! Super simple, definitely sweet-- reminiscent of a granola bar. I'll show you how I made them on my food blog at: http://foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/british-flapjacks-not-to-be-confused.html
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup*
- 2 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant or old-fashioned)
- Pinch of salt
- A type of syrup popular in Great Britain; available at some supermarkets, specialty foods stores, and British import shops. (I found my at Pier 1 - World Market)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Butter 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan**.
**NOTE: I made a parchment paper "sling" so that the flapjacks would be guarantee to life right out of the pan. You can also use a foil sling, as well.
Combine first 3 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until butter melts, sugar dissolves, and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
Add oats and salt; stir until coated. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and spread out in even layer.
Bake until top is golden (edges will be darker), about 25 minutes.
Cool in pan on rack 5 minutes. Cut into 4 squares*; cut each into 4 triangles (mixture will still be soft).
*I used a bench scraper tool to easily cut the bars. Be sure they are still warm when you cut them.
Cool completely*** in pan before serving.
***We ate them slightly warm and loved them this way.
1 serving contains the following:
Calories (kcal) 136.0
%Calories from Fat 42.2
Fat (g) 6.4
Saturated Fat (g) 3.5
Cholesterol (mg) 15.0
Carbohydrates (g) 18.5
Dietary Fiber (g) 1.3
Total Sugars (g) 7.9
Net Carbs (g) 17.2
Protein (g) 1.7
You'll also love
- Djuvec - Serbian Casserole 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Thai-Style Chicken Soup 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Chewy Sugar Cookies 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Christmas Wreath Cookies 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Butter Pecan Cookies 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Overnight Ham, Egg & Cheese Monkey... 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Ina Garten's Baked Blintzes with... 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Pancakes 4.6/5 (28 Votes)