Cookie Monster Bars
Make sure to buy some candy eyes to add to your monster bars made from homemade shortbread, covered in caramel and then topped with chocolate with candies pressed into the warm chocolate.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 7 tablespoons unsalted buter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 cups chocolate chips
- Assorted candy, cut into bite size pieces
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 70mins
Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F.
To make the shortbread combine flour and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until pieces are about the size of peas. Add in vanilla. Alternatively you can do this in a food processor combining everything and giving it a few short pulses to achieve the same result. Press shortbread into the bottom of your prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until shortbread is golden brown.
To make the caramel combine caramel ingredients in a small stockpot and gently bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir constantly for 5-7 minutes until thick and golden. Remove from heat and let cool.
When the shortbread comes out of the oven, top with caramel and place in the freezer until cool to the touch.
To make the chocolate, gently melt the chocolate chops in a double boiler or in the microwave. If microwaving, make sure to stop every 30 seconds to stir until melted. Pour the chocolate on top of the cool shortbread and caramel and spread evenly.
Press candy into chocolate and then transfer to the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden. Remove from the refrigerator and gently lift bars out using the parchment paper. Cut into irregular shapes.
You'll also love
- Quickbread Cheese Biscuits 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Eggnog pudding shots 4.1/5 (55 Votes)
- Halloween DEVILed Eggs 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- 5-Spice Braised Brisket 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Halloween Gorp 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Boo Snack Mix 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Monster Finger Cookies 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Halloween Cookie & Candy Corn Bark 4.5/5 (22 Votes)