Blueberry Almond Bread Pudding
This blueberry almond bread pudding has a streusel topping and is finished off with a drizzle of salted caramel. The ultimate comfort food!
Author: Dinner at the Zoo
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8 servings
- For the pudding:
- Cooking spray
- 7 cups cubed challah bread (can also use brioche or french bread)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of milk (I used whole milk)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup Blueberry Blue Diamond Almonds, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the streusel:
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup Salted Caramel Blue Diamond Almonds, finely chopped
- For serving:
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce (store bought or homemade)
- whipped cream (optional)
- fresh blueberries (optional)
Adapted from dinneratthezoo.com
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 inch square pan with cooking spray. In the pan, place ⅓ of the bread cubes in a single layer. Add half of the blueberries and almonds. Top with another ⅓ of the bread cubes. Add the remaining blueberries and almonds. Top with the remaining bread cubes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Pour over the bread and blueberry mixture; make sure the bread is completely covered by the custard.
To make the streusel, mix together the flour and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Cut the butter into the flour and sugar with two forks or a pastry blender until coarse, pebble sized crumbs form. Stir in the almonds. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the bread pudding.
Bake for 40 minutes or until bread pudding is golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool for at least 30 minutes. Drizzle salted caramel over the top and serve with whipped cream and extra blueberries if desired.
Make Ahead: The bread pudding can be made a day in advance, add the salted caramel sauce just before serving.