Parmesan Garlic Broccoli Fritters
- 3 cups broccoli florets and stem, roughly chopped into 2cm/1 inch pieces (see notes) (about 1 medium head of broccoli)
- 2 tbsp oil (vegetable, olive oil, canola)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk (low fat or full fat)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Yoghurt Sauce
- 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Steam or boil the broccoli until quite tender (but not mushy). I did this in the microwave using a steamer, it took 3 minutes on high.
Use a potato masher to roughy "squish" the broccoli. Not to look like mashed potato, but just to squish it a bit so when cooked it can be flattened with a spatula to make fritters with a smooth surface rather than having big lumps sticking out.
Combine the Yoghurt Sauce ingredients and mix well.
Place egg in a bowl and use a fork to lightly beat the egg. Add the remaining Batter ingredients and mix until combined. The Batter may seem a little thick but it will loosen up when you add the broccoli because when you squish it, it will release some liquid.
Add the broccoli and mix to evenly disperse throughout the Batter.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a fry pan over medium heat.
Scoop ¼ cup of Batter and drop into the pan and use a spoon to gently flatten to about 1cm/1/3" thickness. Cook 3 fritters at a time.
Cook each side for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Repeat with remaining Batter.
Serve with the Yoghurt Sauce and extra lemon wedges, if desired.
1. I also add most of the broccoli stems into these fritters. For the thicker part, I recommend peeling it with a potato peeler as I find the skin can be quite tough. Then roughly chop them into a medium size dice so they cook in the same time as the florets.
2. This recipe also works great with cauliflower.