The Ultimate Beef Stew
Using a well marbled pot roast ensures the ultimate warming beef stew! The marbling slowly cooks creating tender chunks of beef that will melt in your mouth. Love this recipe!
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/4 pounds boneless beef blade roast cut in 1-inch cubes (1.5 kg)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups mini white potatoes scrubbed and quartered (450 g)
- 3 large carrots cut in 1 1/2-inch thick (4 cm) chunks (halve bigger pieces)
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cups pickled cocktail onions, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cups frozen peas
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 150mins
In large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper; toss with beef to coat.
In large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and the oil over medium heat; working in small batches, cook beef, stirring, until browned, about 20 minutes total. Using slotted spoon, remove to bowl; set aside.
Add remaining butter to Dutch oven; cook celery and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits, for 2 minutes.
Return beef and any juices to Dutch oven. Add potatoes, carrots, thyme, parsley and bay leaves. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce; bring to boil, stirring occasionally to loosen any remaining browned bits from bottom.
Cover and braise in 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 minutes. Stir in cocktail onions; cover and braise for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook until vegetables are tender and beef offers no resistance when pierced with tip of knife, 30 to 40 minutes. Stir in peas; cook for 5 minutes.
Skim any fat from surface of stew; remove thyme, parsley and bay leaves. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Change it up - The Ultimate Beef and Mushroom Stew: In large Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat; cook 1 package (227 g) button or cremini mushrooms, trimmed, stirring occasionally, until tender, golden and no liquid remains, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove to bowl; set aside. Continue with recipe as directed, returning mushrooms to Dutch oven along with beef.
You'll also love
- Mom's Oriental Salad 4.4/5 (73 Votes)
- Butterscotch Banana Bundt Cake 4.4/5 (77 Votes)
- Creamy Mushroom, Onion & Garlic... 4.3/5 (83 Votes)
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup 4.4/5 (71 Votes)
- Sonoma Chicken Salad Sandwich 4.5/5 (70 Votes)
- Bacon Cheddar Puffs 4.5/5 (69 Votes)
- Tortilla and Mexican Chorizo Soup 4.5/5 (66 Votes)
- Beef and vegetable pasties 4.5/5 (60 Votes)