One Pot Chicken and Rice with Peas and Carrots
Perfect weeknight, one pot meal. MOIST, TASTY chicken with rice and veggies, you can't go wrong! So don't delay, make it today.
- 4 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin on, split (about 10-12 ounces each)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (10-ounce) package peas and carrots
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- Lemon wedges for serving
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 70mins
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat until just smoking. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate, leaving the fat in the pot.
Add the onion, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the fat in the pot and place over medium heat. Cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Stir in the rice and cook until the edges turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the broth and the wine and bring to a simmer.
Return the chicken to the pot, skin-side up. Cover, and reduce the heat to low, and cook until the chicken is fully cooked through and registers 160 on an instant read thermometer, about 25 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Pat the peas and carrots dry, then stir into the rice. Stir in the cheddar and let melt for a minute. Season the rice mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lemon wedges!
Make sure to take chicken out as soon as it reaches 160.. very important for the juiciness of the chicken!! I only needed to season with pepper at the end, salt was good. USE the lemon juice from the wedges.. DELISH!
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (672 Votes)
- Body Flush and Detox Water 4.5/5 (500 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Crock Pot Ravioli Casserole 4.5/5 (475 Votes)
- Cinnamon Toast, the Pioneer Woman... 4.5/5 (434 Votes)