Broccoli and Cheese Sauce
Makes a great side dish with anything. Good anytime, but especially on holiday dinner tables.
- 6 - 8 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons margarine (I used Smart Balance brand, Original)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch paprika
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk or half-and-half (or combination)
- 1 (8 oz) block Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)(I used 2%)
Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces; rinse and drain in a colander. Microwave broccoli and 2 tablespoons of water in a covered dish on High just until bright green and crisp tender, 3-5 minutes --OR place broccoli in a vegetable steamer basket over about 1/2" boiling water in a covered pot. (I used the microwave method). Drain well.
In a heavy 2-qt. non-stick saucepan, melt the margarine over medium heat; whisk in the flour, mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika and cook, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes (do not brown). Gradually add the milk, whisking vigorously, until well blended. Cook and whisk until sauce thickens to desired consistency. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese until melted.
Place warm broccoli in a serving bowl and spoon cheese sauce over the top. Serve immediately. (Or pass the cheese sauce at the table, which is what I did).