Cream of Tomato Soup
Try this delicious Cream of Tomato Soup recipe.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon. tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon. flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can whole, peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed by hand, 15 ounces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crème fraîche, croutons, and finely chopped chives, to garnish
Heat bacon in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat, and cook until its fat renders and bacon is crisp, about 15 minutes. Add butter, and increase temperature to medium-high; add garlic, onion, and carrot, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes.
Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 3 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring until smooth, about 2 minutes more.
Add stock, thyme, bay leaf, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, and purée; return to saucepan, and stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls; dollop with crème fraîche, and sprinkle with croutons and chives.