Classic Slow Cooker Beef Stew
A traditional recipe for hearty beef stew with a base of onions and garlic, deglazed with brown ale, thickened with potatoes, and flavored with Dijon mustard & thyme.
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 medium yellow onions, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (12-ounce) nut brown ale
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted beef stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 1 1/2 pounds baby Dutch potatoes, halved
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of beef to pan; cook 6 minutes, turning until well browned on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Repeat procedure with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef; remove beef and any juices from pan.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onions and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Add beer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup stock, remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer. Carefully pour mixture into a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Add beef, potatoes, carrots, thyme, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup stock and flour, stirring with a whisk. Stir flour mixture into stew; cook 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mustard and vinegar. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley.
You'll also love
- Pulled Pork Melt 4.4/5 (57 Votes)
- Pineapple & Cream Cheese Upside... 4.5/5 (52 Votes)
- Chinese Pulled Pork 4.4/5 (63 Votes)
- Cheesy Ground Beef Rice Casserole 4.2/5 (77 Votes)
Review this recipe