Gluten Free Chicken Parm Casserole with Garlic Croutons
•Prep time: 10 minutes
•Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 5 cups gluten-free white bread, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces (about 8 slices)or just use gluten free bread crumbs for chicken
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought gluten-free, vegan marinara sauce, plus more for serving
- 2 pounds chicken tenders, patted dry
- 8 ounces shredded or thinly sliced dairy-free mozzarella-style cheese, such as Daiya
- 6 leaves basil, torn, for topping
•Make the croutons: Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and oregano. Place the bread pieces in a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil mixture, toss to coat evenly. Transfer to a baking sheet in a single layer and bake, turning halfway through baking, until golden and dry, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
•To assemble, season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9-by-12-inch baking dish. Top with the chicken in a single layer and spoon over 2 cups of sauce; bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with half of the cheese, croutons and the remaining cheese; bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes. Serve topped with basil and marinara alongside.