Lemon Grass Fragrant Chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium white or yellow onions finely chopped
- 12 medium mushrooms - (to 15) sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 large garlic clove coarsely chopped
- 1 stick fresh lemon grass sliced
- (or 2 tspns canned chopped lemon grass or 3 tspns dried lemon grass)
- 1/2 inch root ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely-chopped green chillies
- (or dash of hot sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon red peppercorns
- 1 cup chicken broth canned or homemade
- 2 ounces dried sliced mango - (abt 1/4 cup)
- (or one-quarter fresh mango, sliced)
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/8 cup dry sherry or brandy
- 1 whole chicken breast sliced, and stir-fried in 1 tbspn vegetable oil
- (or abt 2 cups sliced cooked leftover chicken)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely-chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch only if necessary
- to thicken
- Dessicated (dried) coconut
- Cilantro leaves
Saute onions, mushrooms, sesame seed and garlic in butter until browned. Add lemon grass, ginger, chillies, peppercorns and chicken broth, bring to boil and cook on moderate heat until reduced by about one-half.
Add dried mango (if using fresh mango, add that at the end, not now), coconut milk, liquor and chicken and heat slowly until warmed through. Add cilantro and cream and simmer only a few minutes. If sauce is too thin, stir in cornstarch until thickened.
Serve immediately over fragrant Thai (sticky) rice.
This recipe yields 2 to 4 servings.