Microwaved Yams/Sweet Potatoes
The different types of sweet potatoes/yams cook at various times – the yellow and orange ones are wetter and cook in about 10 minutes whereas the drier purple ones can take up to 20 minutes.
- sweet potatoes
I wash and dry similarly-sized sweet potatoes/yams…
…stab them all over with a sharp paring knife…
…and arrange them in a circle in a Pyrex dish.
I cover the yams with a damp paper towel…
…and nuke them on high for 5 minutes. (If you’re just making one yam, it only takes about 5 minutes.) Then, I rotate the yams and nuke them for another 5 minutes. I keep checking and nuking the yams until they are soft to the touch.
Orange and yellow yams are normally done after a total of 10 minutes. For the purple yams, I usually need to nuke them for a total of 20 minutes and I rewet the paper towel halfway through the cooking process.
Don’t be lazy and zap the spuds for a total of 10-20 minutes right off the bat – you’ll end up with unevenly cooked sweet potatoes. Break up the cooking time in 5 minutes intervals x2 and then shorter intervals (e.g. 1-2 minutes) as the spuds soften.
Once they’re finished, I let them cool to room temperature, peel them…
…and stick them in the fridge in the same dish. Why waste your time washing a pan or dish when you can do it later?
You'll also love
- Strawberry Basil Sangria 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Rustic Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake... 4.3/5 (52 Votes)
- Sweet Corn Cake 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Sunny Spinach Pie 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Skillet Parmesan Potatoes 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Cinnamon Sweet Potato Mash 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Apple-Bacon Sweet Potatoes 4.6/5 (17 Votes)