Escarole and Little Meatball Soup
- 1/2 head escarole 9about 1/2 lbs)
- 1 1/12 large carrots, chopped
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 lb or ground veal, beef or turkey
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano chees
- 1/4 cup very finely minced onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 4 oz ditalini or tubetti or broken spaghetti
- 1 can of Canelli beans
- chopped potatoes
- Freshly grated parmigiano-Reggiano cheese to sprinkle over soup.
Trim the escarole and discard and bruised leaves. cut off the stem ends. separate the leaves and wash well in cool water. Stack the leaves and cut them crosswise into 1" strips.
Combine the escarole, carrots and stock in a large pot. bring to a simmer and cook until the escarole is almost tender, about 30 min.
To make the meatballs:
combine the ground meat, bread crumbs, cheese, onion, egg, salt and peeper. shape the mixture into tiny balls.
When the escarole is almost tender, stir in the pasta and return the soup to the simmer. Drop the meatballs into the soup. Cook over low heat, stirring gently, until the meatballs and past are cooked, about 10 min. Taste for seasoning. Serve hot with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
You'll also love
- Creamed Peas and Potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chunky Sausage and Chicken Hotpot 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Spiced Cranberry-Apple Glogg 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Hot Onion Souffle 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Houston's® Spinach Artichoke Dip 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Open-Face Spinach-and-Mushroom... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Endive Salad with Isabel Tuna 4/5 (4 Votes)