Blue-Ribbon Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 medium bananas, the blacker, the better)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (low-fat is fine)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Adjust the rack in the lower third of the oven and heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the walnuts.
Combine the banana, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla; add to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 1 hour, or until a cake tester inserted in the loaf comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in the pan, then turn the loaf out onto a rack to cool completely.