Bon Appetit's Best Beef & Bacon Meatloaf
Seasoned stock keeps this meatloaf juicy and flavorful. A doctored ketchup delivers just the right amount of tang, spice, and sweetness. And the bacon? We think it speaks for itself.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, grated on large holes of a box grater
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck (15% fat)
- 6 thin strips bacon
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 85mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, then parchment paper.
Heat oil over medium in a small skillet. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, bring ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, and cayenne to a boil in a small saucepan, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Transfer 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture to a blender; add broth and parsley and blend until smooth. Set remaining ketchup mixture aside.
Add broth mixture, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt, and pepper to onion and garlic; mix to combine. Add beef and mix well with your hands to combine. Transfer meatloaf mixture to prepared pan and form into a long log (about 12-x5-inch), smoothing surface. Spread reserved ketchup mixture over top and drape bacon in a crisscross pattern over loaf, tucking underneath.
Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165°F and bacon is crisp, 70 to 80 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
You'll also love
- green rhubarb jam 3.8/5 (45 Votes)
- Salted Caramel Cheesecake Bars 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Applesauce Cake with Penuche... 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Pumpkin French Toast with Pumpkin... 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Sticky Thai Peanut Orange Chicken... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Biscuit, Sausage & Egg Strata 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Bbq Ginger Ale Pork Ribs 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Fabio's Ultimate Pulled Pork 4.3/5 (13 Votes)