Carrot Cake with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
Yum, this Carrot Cake with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting is excellent! Simple step by step easy to follow directions provided for a most impressive looking and tasting treat!
- Cooking spray
- 2 3/4 cups walnuts, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup smooth applesauce
- Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 (4-inch) piece ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
Preparation time 140mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Make the cake:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-inch-round cake pans with cooking spray; line the bottoms with parchment paper. Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then finely chop.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt onto a large piece of parchment (or into a medium bowl).
Beat the granulated sugar, brown sugar and vegetable oil in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium high and add the eggs, one at a time; beat until light and smooth, about 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the applesauce, orange zest and vanilla and beat until just smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Add the carrots and 3/4 cup walnuts and beat until just combined. Divide the batter between the prepared pans.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool 10 minutes in the pans, then remove to the rack to cool completely; remove the parchment. (The cake layers can be made a day ahead; let cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap.)
Make the frosting:
Peel the ginger and grate onto a piece of cheesecloth. Wrap in the cheesecloth and squeeze the juice into a small bowl (you should get about 1 tablespoon). Add the orange juice and vanilla to the bowl. Beat the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in the juice mixture. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat until smooth, about 2 more minutes.
Place 1 cake layer on a platter, rounded-side down. Spread with 1 cup frosting, then top with the second cake layer, rounded-side down. Cover the top and sides with the remaining frosting. Press the remaining walnuts into the sides of the cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
You'll also love
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Pizza Dough Sausage Roll 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Yogurt and Apricot Pie with... 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Panettone Bread Pudding 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Italian Pot Roast with Penne 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Chinese Beef and Bok... 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- German Chocolate Mousse 4.4/5 (17 Votes)