Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups Fresh Vegetable Broth (see recipe) (you may substitute canned vegetable or chicken broth)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
Melt the butter with the oil over low heat in a pot.
Add the onion; wilt over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes, stirring. Sprinkle with flour and cook 3 minutes longer, stirring.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Season with cloves, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Purèe the soup in a food processor. Pour through a strainer into a pot. Stir in the half-and-half.
Warm the soup before serving.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Per serving (based on 8): 239 calories, 37g carbohydrates, 6g protein, 9g fat, 13mg cholesterol.