'Tomato Time' Tart
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry thawed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons corn oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Garden Pesto (see recipe) (or store-bought pesto)
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into an 8-inch circle, using a salad-size plate as a guide. Remove to an ungreased baking sheet. Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
Whisk together the egg yolks, corn oil and water; brush lightly on the pastry. Arrange the tomatoes in concentric circles, leaving a 1/2-inch edge.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle the tarts evenly with the olive oil, sugar and pepper. Bake about 25 minutes or until the tarts are golden and the tomatoes are caramelized.
Serve immediately, with a dollop of Garden Pesto.
This recipe yields 2 servings.
Per tart: 560 calories, 40g carbohydrates, 11g protein, 42g fat, 215mg cholesterol.