- 1 large garlic clove
- Coarse salt to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 red new potatoes
- 8 ounces tender green beans ends snapped, halved diagonally and blanched
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4") red bell pepper
- 1/2 small red onion slivered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup pitted Niçoise olives
- 1 tablespoon drained tiny capers
- 1/4 cup slivered basil leaves - (loosely Packed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 swordfish steaks - (abt 6 oz ea)
- 1 hard-cooked egg coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Sprinkle the garlic with a generous pinch of salt; finely mince and place in a large shallow bowl with the vinegar. Slowly drizzle in 1/3 cup olive oil, whisking constantly to make a vinaigrette. Season with pepper.
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes; drain, slice and place in a bowl. Layer the green beans atop the potatoes, followed by the red pepper, onion, olives, capers and fresh basil. Don't toss this salad until serving time.
Preheat the broiler. Meanwhile, combine the remaining olive oil, the lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the swordfish and coat well. Let rest 15 minutes.
Place the fish on a lightly oiled broiler pan, 4 inches from the heat source, and broil for 4 minutes on the first side. Turn carefully and broil 4 minutes on the other side. Remove to the center of a platter.
Gently toss the salad from underneath and surround the swordfish. Sprinkle chopped egg on top. Grind some pepper over all and garnish with chopped parsley.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: 576 calories, 28g carbohydrates, 39g protein, 34g fat, 119mg cholesterol.