Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies
- COOKIE DOUGH:
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (set aside)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablepoons lemom juice
Adapted from community.tasteofhome.com
1. In a glass measure, stir lemon juice into milk, then let stand for 5 minutes.
2. In a bowl, beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds.
3. Add the sugar, egg, baking powder, baking soda, lemon peel, milk mixture, and half of the flour to the margarine/butter. Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Then beat or stir in the remaining flour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Drop dough from a rounded teaspoon 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned (do not over bake).
7. Transfer cookies to a wire rack.
8. Brush the tops of the warm cookies with Lemon Glaze, then cool.
1. In a small mixing bowl, stir together 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. (Makes 3 tablespoons of glaze.)