Avgolemono Soup (Frugal Gourmet)
- 2 c milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 qt chicken stock
- 1/2 c rice
- 1 c fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 stick butter
- chopped parsley
- grated lemon peel
- salt & pepper
Stir the milk and cornstarch together and then beat in the egg yolks. Set aside.
Bring the stock to boil in a 4-qt soup pot and add the rice. Cook, covered, until the rice is puffy and tender, about 25 minutes. (Per variation below, you may add minced garlic now, too)
Remove the soup from the heat and add the milk and egg mixture, stirring carefully. Continue to cook for a moment until all thickens. Remove from the heat again and add the butter, chopped parsley, and lemon juice. You may wish to add some grated lemon peel as well. Add salt and pepper to serve.
Variation: In individual serving bowls, place shredded chicken and chopped basil. Also, minced garlic may be added into the soup during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
You'll also love
- Stir Fried Beef in Spicy Hunan... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Broccoli and Parsnip Soup 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Cuban-style Pumpkin Soup 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Desserts - Weight Watchers Banana... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Apple Cranberry Rhubarb Crisp 4/5 (1 Votes)
- TEPPAN YAKI ORANGE SAUCE 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Lemon Mint Pork Tenderloin 4/5 (1 Votes)