Asparagus Tarragon 'Cream' Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 2 pounds asparagus cut 1" pieces
- 3 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon divided
- 3/4 cup nondairy creamer see * Note
* Note: Look for a product, such as one made of soy, without hydrogenated oils.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, until softened but not browned.
Add broth, asparagus, celery, salt, pepper and half of the tarragon to the pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until asparagus is very tender.
In a blender, purée soup in batches until smooth. Return to pot. Add nondairy creamer and remaining tarragon. Heat soup through over medium heat.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Net Carbs: 8 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 5.5 grams