Open-Faced Cheddar Sandwiches Topped With Balsamic Red Onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 dash sugar substitute
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese thinly sliced
- 4 slices Atkins Bakery Rye Bread lightly toasted
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 to 7 minutes, until onion is softened and light brown. Stir in balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar substitute. Cook 1 minute until onions are well coated and glossy; remove from heat.
Heat broiler. Divide cheese over bread slices. Top each slice with one quarter of the onion mixture. Broil 1 minute, 4 inches from heat source or until cheese softens and starts to melt.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Carbohydrates: 9.5 grams
Net Carbs: 5.5 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 21.5 grams
Fat: 24 grams