- 1/2 medium green cabbage head
- 1/2 medium red cabbage head
- 2 medium carrots peeled, grated
- 1 large red bell pepper cored, seeded, and cut into 1"-long julienne
- 2 green onions trimmed, and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives drained
- 2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapeños
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons olive brine
- 3 tablespoons brown or white rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Remove the tough cores of the cabbages and slice the leaves into thin strips about 1 inch long and one-fourth inch wide. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and add the carrots, pepper, green onions, olives and jalapeños. Toss until the ingredients are well dispersed.
Place the mayonnaise, brine, vinegar and oil in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Stir the dressing into the vegetables and toss until well mixed. Taste and add more mayonnaise or vinegar if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Each of 8 servings: 210 calories; 2 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 19 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 3 mg. cholesterol; 310 mg. sodium.