Spicy Grilled Steak With Pineapple-Sauteed Onions And Peppers
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce - (to 2)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 3 strip steaks, 2" thick - (1/2 lb ea) trimmed
- PINEAPPLE-SAUTEED ONIONS & PEPPERS:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 cups thinly-sliced white onions
- 1 red bell pepper cut narrow strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut narrow strips
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons reserved chipotle puree
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Warmed flour tortillas
For the Steak: Puree peppers with adobo sauce in blender or food processor. Put 2 teaspoons chipotle puree in large resealable plastic food bag with oil, juice, garlic and oregano. (Reserve remaining chipotle puree.) Add steaks, making sure they are thoroughly coated with marinade. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes.
For the Pineapple-Sauteed Onions & Peppers: Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook onions and peppers, uncovered, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add juice, chipotle puree, sugar and salt. Mix well. Cook, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated and onions are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes more. (Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. To reheat, cook slowly over low heat until warm, adding water if mixture is too dry.) Serve hot.
For Assembly: Remove steaks from bag and discard marinade. Generously season with salt and pepper. Place on grill rack that has been sprayed with nonstick spray or greased with paper towels dipped in oil. Grill over medium-high heat, turning to cook both sides, until cooked as desired, about 4 to 5 minutes total for rare, depending on heat of grill.
Transfer to cutting board. Cut across grain into 1/3-inch-thick slices. To serve, arrange hot Pineapple-Sauteed Onions and Peppers on platter, top with sliced steaks and garnish platter with cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately with warm flour tortillas.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Each serving: 435 calories; 972 mg sodium; 79 mg cholesterol; 22 grams fat; 31 grams carbohydrates; 29 grams protein; 1.44 grams fiber.
You'll also love
- Palomino Crab Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Luna Park Asparagus Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Seared Scallops With Lemon, Garlic... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- White Rice With Green Onions And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Celery Root, Carrot And Pear... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fried Squirrel With Onion Gravy 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Holiday Turkey With Apple-Pear... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sugarless Pineapple Raspberry... 0/5 (0 Votes)