Pickled Egg Salad Crostini with Serrano Ham
A simple, rustic, and absolutely delicious dish. Enjoy it for a snack, for lunch, or as a nutritious appetizer before a hearty meal.
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices 1/4 inch-thick country style bread or ciabatta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Chervil or parsley leaves with tender stems for garnish
- 12 thin slices Serrano ham or prosciutto
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Bring vinegars, sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/12 cup water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Let cool.
Meanwhile, place eggs in a medium saucepan and add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. Let sit 10 minutes. Transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water to cool.
Drain, peel, and return eggs to bowl. Add pickling liquid; cover and chill at least 12 hours. Remove eggs from pickling liquid. Coarsely chop; mix with mayonnaise, chives, and parsley in a medium bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and some pickling liquid, if desired.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Place bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Toast until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Rub with garlic. Top each toast with pickled egg salad, some chervil, and a slice of ham.
Eggs can be pickled 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.
You'll also love
- Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich 4.5/5 (84 Votes)
- Pandebono (Colombian Cheese bread) 4/5 (21 Votes)
- Quick Artisan Style Multi Grain... 3.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Ahi Tuna Tartare 4.1/5 (41 Votes)
- Smoked Mozzarella Fondue 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Blueberry Wild Rice Salad 3.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Papaya and Coconut Chicken Salad 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Ham & Cheese Ring 3.6/5 (27 Votes)
Review this recipe