Peach & Blackberry Galette
We were looking to make something less fussy than a tart but more glamorous than a pie. Enter the galette in all its crisp glory. The freshly-baked crust emits the aroma of almonds, crumbling easily while being firm enough to hold its shape. The choice pairing of blackberries and peaches creates the perfect balance of sweetness and acidity, resulting in a galette of multifarious flavours.
- For galette pastry:
- 600 g peaches, pitted and sliced
- 150 g blackberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 11/4 cup plain flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 115 g chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 to 5 tbsp ice water, as required
- For egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp milk
Adapted from cookism.tumblr.com
1. Mix together flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add in chilled butter and gently rub butter into flour mixture with your fingertips until the mixture achieves a texture like breadcrumbs. Add in vanilla bean paste and 3 tbsp ice water into the mixture. Using your hands, gently mix the dough till just combined. Test the dough by pinching a small amount of it between your fingers to see if it holds together. Add about 1 to 2 tbsp of ice water if the dough feels dry. It will be ready when the crumbs hold together easily and don't feel wet. Tip the dough onto a floured workstation. Flour your hands and shape the dough into a flat disk. Wrap it in a plastic wrap and chill for an hour before using.
2. While galette dough is resting, prepare the filling. Combine peaches, half of the blackberries, honey, vanilla bean paste and 3/4 tsp cinnamon in a large bowl and toss well. Set it aside to marinate.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly-floured parchment paper with a floured rolling pin to about 11 to 12 inch in diameter. Sprinkle almond meal over the middle section of the pastry, leaving a 2 to 3 inch border. Within the border, arrange fruits to your liking.
4. Fold in the edges of the dough, overlapping the fruits to form a free-form tart. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180C. For the eggwash, beat egg and milk together till combined. Brush the edges of the pastry with the eggwash. Combine and mix remaining 1/4 tsp of cinnamon with brown sugar. Sprinkle over the galette.
5. Bake for 1 hour until the fruits are soft and the crust is golden. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes and serve with remaining blackberries on top. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Avocado Toast with Goat Cheese &... 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Zucchini Fries 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Blueberry Waffle Cone Ice Cream 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Blackberry & Basil Dessert Bites 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Easy Crock Pot Orange (Peach)... 4/5 (29 Votes)
- Tennessee Peach Pudding 4.1/5 (28 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Spinach &... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Summer Vegetable Galette with Pesto 4.2/5 (5 Votes)